It pays to learn more about how to donate on Twitch. Why? Because the money you give to gamers can keep the community you love alive and well.
How do you donate on Twitch? It’s easy:
- Set up a PayPal account. You have to pay for your bits and have an account to send donations. You can use Amazon for this, but PayPal is a little quicker.
- Buy your bits. Click “Get Bits” in the upper-right corner of the player. Choose the number of bits you want to purchase. Pay via PayPal (or Amazon).
- Send your bits. Type “Cheer” in the chat box, and choose your amount.
- Tack on a donation. Do more by hitting the “Donate” button on your gamer’s page and follow the instructions.
Let’s dig into these steps in detail and explain why donating on Twitch is so important.
How Much Do People Make via Donations?
The amount of money people make from donations varies quite a bit.
Consider this. A Twitch user named “Disguised Toast” claims that he makes about $2,500 per month in donations. Meanwhile, Ninja made an estimated $316,394 per month when he was active on Twitch. That’s some pretty serious money for doing what you love.
Can big donations come all at once? Of course. Twitch streamer “Exotic Chaotic” reportedly got $75,000 in one donation from a fan during a stream.
These are big numbers, for sure. But remember that big-time streamers make thousands every month from sponsorships. Corporations send them checks for using their consoles, playing their games, and speaking up about their products. Your donations help to pad the bottom line. But famous gamers make bank from the corporate sponsorships they can pull down.
Your donations can be a stepping stone to these big endorsement deals. They can keep you going until the really big bucks start to flow in.
Why You Should Press the Twitch Donation Button
Why should you give money to anyone else? It’s a valid question, and every person might answer it in a different way. But in general, consider donating on Twitch because you believe in the platform and the gaming community.
You could donate on Twitch to:
- Support the gamers you watch. People often say they donate on Twitch because they think other gamers are worthy. They appreciate what these other gamers are doing on the platform, and they want to make that clear. They are helping those they admire to thrive on the platform.
- Recognize something amazing. Twitch says a bit donation helps you bookmark something important during gameplay. When someone breaks a record or pulls off an amazing move, your bits are a way to recognize the achievement.
- Reduce isolation. It’s not uncommon for gamers to stream for hours to an empty virtual room. It’s demoralizing, and they talk about it often. If everyone thinks Twitch is a downer, will more people visit the site? Can it stay alive with no viewers? Every time you support a gamer, you make the site more fun for everyone. You are helping to build and support your community.
How to Send Bits on Twitch
Now that we’ve convinced you that it’s critical to support gamers on Twitch with donations, let’s tell you how to get it done. We’ll start with bits.
Twitch bits, as you probably know, are slang for donations you send within chat on Twitch. You can get them by:
- Watching ads and interacting with the content.
- Buying them with a PayPal account.
- Buying them with an Amazon account.
With your account fully loaded, you can send bits on Twitch through the chat. Type the word “Cheer,” determine how many bits you want to send, and then hit “Send.” It’s really that easy.
If you’re still unclear about how to donate bits on Twitch, the company has a good tutorial about what they are and how they work here.
How to Use the Twitch Donation Button
Once you know how to donate bits, you could use that function all the time. But you might want to send a gamer a bit of money privately. You can do that through donations.
Most gamers have a big “Donate” button on their profile pages. Some are attached to PayPal accounts, and others connect to bitcoin accounts. Just hit the “Donate” button, and follow the steps to make it happen. The steps you’ll follow will vary, depending on the type of setup the gamer uses.
Whichever method you choose to donate, you can easily support your favorite streamers on Twitch. Maybe you’re donating to gamers you idolize, or maybe you’re helping to elevate an up-and-comer. No matter why you’re donating, you’re supporting your community, and that will come back to you later.
How Much Money Do Twitch Streamers Really Make? (October 2018). YouTube.
How Much Do Twitch Streamers Make? Influencer Marketing Hub.
Twitch Streamer Receives Donation of $75,000 Marking a New Record. (January 2019). Notebook Check.
Why Do People Keep Donating to Highly Successful (+$20k/Month) Twitch Streamers? (September 2017). Quora.
Guide to Cheering with Bits. Twitch.
The Twitch Streamers Who Spend Years Broadcasting to No One. (July 2018). The Verge.