You’re watching your favorite streamer on Twitch, and let’s be honest, you’ve been watching that channel for about 45 minutes now. So don’t you feel like you should give something back?
A great way to do this is by supporting your streamer with bits. Each one translates into cold, hard cash for them. And, there are some ways you can get bits that don’t require you to spend any of your own money at all.
There are three main ways to get bits on Twitch:
- Buy Twitch bits
- Earn Twitch bits with ads
- Get bits for free with surveys
How to Buy Twitch Bits
If you’re short on time and you have the cash to spare, buying bit is the quickest way to load up your account. All you need is a linked account, and you’re ready to go in minutes.
Log into your Twitch account, then:
- Open chat. If you’re not sure where that is, it’s located in the bottom right of the screen. You’ll see conversation flowing there.
- Look for the pyramid. You’ll see something pointy right next to a smiling face. Click that.
- Hit the “buy” option. Decide how many bits you can afford, and pay for them via Amazon or PayPal.
Bits are cheap: you can pick up 1,500 of them for about $20. Give all of them to one gamer, and you’ve handed out a $15 paycheck. It’s not enough to cover their car payment, but it’s not pocket change either.
How to Get Free Twitch Bits With Ads
You want to support your favorite gamer, but you can’t really spare $20. You’re not alone. And you’re in luck! Watch a few Twitch ads, and you could earn a few bits.
Again, you’ll need to log into your Twitch account. Then:
- Open chat, and look for the pyramid. You’re starting at the same spot you used to buy bits. That’s no mistake.
- Click on “watch ad.” Above the payment options, you’ll see this little box. Click it, and an ad will start playing in the main window of your screen.
- Keep the ad open for at least 30 seconds. A timer in the upper-left corner keeps you on track. Don’t close your window or look at a new tab.
- Interact with the ad. Hit buttons, answer questions, and otherwise follow the prompts. The more you do, the more you can earn.
- Click “I’m done.” The timer has run out, and you’ve clicked to your heart’s content. Notify the system that you’re finished.
- Click “watch another.” Earn even more by interacting with a few more ads.
Help! I Can’t Earn Bits on Twitch With Ads!
If you want to make scratch to give to gamers, but every time you follow the steps above, the “watch ad” box is gunmetal gray. Don’t worry. Just follow a few troubleshooting steps.
If you can’t earn bits on Twitch with ads:
- Check your location. Ads are only available to people within the United States. If you live outside the country, this system won’t work for you.
- Turn off your adblocker. Twitch ads are (obviously) ads. If you’re blocking them, Twitch won’t show you any.
- Try a different computer. You can’t earn bits on a tablet or your phone. You must be on a desktop or laptop computer. If you can’t see ads, check if logging on a different device helps.
- Try a different time of day. Think of ads like a pot of coffee. When the last cup is poured, someone must make more. If you’re active when everyone else is busy, all the ads have been seen. Try checking back later.
How to Get Free Bits With Twitch RPG
If you think the bits-for-ads tradeoff is a good deal, you’re in good company. Often, Twitch simply runs out of available ads, and the gray box shows up for everyone. One method could help you earn those bits for free without fighting others for ads.
Sign up for the Twitch Research Power Group (RPG). Donate a bit of your time to answer surveys, give feedback on clips, and help to guide the development of Twitch and its advertising.
Once per month (or so), you’ll get an email message with a link to a survey. Most take about 10 minutes to finish. Do the work, and you could earn anything from 10 to 500 free bits.
It’s a great deal, right?
RPG is open to approved Twitch accounts, and even then, you need to do a little work. Open the messages when they come (and that means checking your spam filter if you don’t see any). Finish the surveys on time, so you don’t get tossed from RPG. And be honest in your feedback.
This isn’t exactly a job, but you should take it seriously. If you commit to doing this regularly, you can rack up some serious bits over time.
Why Should You Care About Twitch Bits?
Most people on Twitch don’t just watch, they play. If you, as a gamer, don’t hand out those sweet bits, how can you expect anyone to do it for you?
Donate your time, your expertise, or (if necessary) your money to keep Twitch going strong.
And if you work hard to build your following, you might actually begin to receive bits from other gamers, which you can then cash out or pay forward onto your own favorite streamers.
Check out our guide to making money on Twitch for tips on how to do just that. And, better yet, sign up with us at Clutch and start building up a following with our awesome community here by uploading your most unbelievable gameplay clips.