Don’t let your epic gaming moments pass by unnoticed. Capture them and piece the best bits together to create an Xbox One games montage. These videos are sure to grab attention, and it’s really easy to get started.
We’ll show you how to make a montage on Xbox One via three methods:
- Upload Studio
- Windows Photos
- Editing software
The Basics: Capture and Find Xbox Clips
The first step in how to create a montage on Xbox One is to gather up epic clips. They are the raw materials you’ll knit together to tell the story of your amazing gaming skills.
Microsoft says there are two ways to generate clips:
- Capture something that just happened. Press the Xbox button, and then tap the X button. You’ll save the last 30 seconds of gameplay.
- Record as you play. Start your game, and press the Xbox button. Press the View button, and select “Record From Now.” You can capture up to 10 minutes if you’re recording to an internal storage device. If you’re using an external source of storage, you can grab up to an hour of footage.
Imagine that you’ve captured several clips during one session of play. How can you find the one you want? Microsoft suggests this method:
- Press the Xbox button. This will open the guide.
- Push “Capture and Share.” This will show everything you’ve published, and it might be blank. Don’t panic.
- Select the filter “On this Xbox.” You’ll see raw footage here.
Once you’ve gathered up plenty of clips, you have choices to make. You’ll need to piece them together with software. Here are three options to try.
How to Make an Xbox Montage With Upload Studio
Microsoft has a free tool made for editing clips. It doesn’t come preloaded on your console, so you’ll need to install it.
Once you’ve installed the program, Microsoft says you can make a clip in three easy steps:
- Choose your starting point. You can use a Microsoft template or a blank slate.
- Add your clips. Pull in as many as you’d like by hitting the plus sign.
- Edit. Upload Studio comes with more than 140 transitions and special effects that make your montage shine.
- Save your work. When you’re done editing, hit “Finish” to ensure you don’t lose anything.
Make a Montage With the Photos App
Microsoft encourages players to use Upload Studio to manage clips. But it’s not your only option. You can also use the Photos app from Microsoft.
Some experts believe this tool offers superior editing ability when compared to Upload Studio. You can combine clips, add music, slow down the action, or speed up boring bits. It’s also remarkably easy to use even if you’re not a skilled photo editor.
But even though the app is a Microsoft tool, just like Xbox One, the two don’t play nicely together. You’ll need to export your clips from Xbox and import them into the photos app to make this work.
Use Editing Software to Make a Montage
Imagine that you want to create the best Xbox One montage, and you don’t want yours to look like any other clip out there. You’ll probably need editing software to make that happen.
Professional editing software often comes with templates, and you can customize and tweak presets. But the advanced nature of these tools means your possibilities are endless. You can knock out just one part of the image, add in splashes of colors, overlay two videos, and more. The result is a clip that’s destined to get you attention.
We’ve discussed editing software on this blog, and we have some how-to articles that can help you understand how to maximize the tools and make the best clips possible. Check out those resources, and make the purchase decision that’s right for you.
Manage Your Game Clips on Xbox One. Microsoft.
Upload Studio. Microsoft.
Editing Videos with Upload Studio. Microsoft.
See All Your Photos. Microsoft.
Microsoft’s Xbox Team Should Ditch Upload Studio and Embrace the Windows Photos App. (December 2017). Windows Central.