One of the biggest ways content creators are expanding their audience is through cross-posting content on new platforms. Instagram has become an incredible place to post exciting gameplay clips and introduce new viewers to your content. But how do you get Xbox clips onto Instagram? While not immediately obvious, the answer is MUCH easier than it used to be.
All you’ll need is an Xbox, some sweet plays, and a phone to move your clips from Xbox to Instagram. And getting those clips onto Insta is only the first step to getting them in front of your soon-to-be fans!
If you’re determined to share on Instagram, we can help. There’s also an easier way to share clips with people who care about gaming as much as you do, and we’ll tell you about that too.
How to Save Xbox Clips
Before you can start sharing Xbox clips on Instagram, you’ll need something to share. And since you’re planning to post on Instagram, holding your phone up to your monitor to record the action just won’t cut it. Not even close.
Instagram users demand high-quality video, and that means you must capture your clips directly on the console.
Once you make that incredible shot or awesome play, immediately press the “Xbox” button followed by “X” to capture a clip. You can hit the “Xbox” button followed by “Y” if you just want a screenshot. The clips will default to a 10-second length, which is just about right for Instagram. But if you’d like a longer clip, we have more information about how to do that right here.
Your clips are stored on your console as well as in the cloud and automatically shared with your friends and followers by default.
How to Share Clips to Instagram
Next, head to the Xbox guide, then to Broadcast and Share and find the list of recent captures. Your new clip should be in this list, but you can always select See All if it’s not.
To move your clips from your Xbox to Instagram, follow these steps:
- Pick your clip. Scroll through all of your saved options until you find the one you want to share.
- Save to the cloud. If you haven’t already, head to the Xbox Settings and click down to Preferences, Capture & Share. Confirm that your Captures are “Automatically Uploaded” via these settings. If not, find your clip in recent captures and click “Upload”.
- Switch to your phone. You’ll need a mobile device with either WiFi or data access next. Head over to the Xbox app. Click on the three lines in the top left and click “Captures”.
- Find your Clip. Scroll through your recent captures, both clips and screenshots, and find the clip you want to put on Instagram.
- Download the clip. Below the clip is a “Share” button. Hit the “Save” option on your clip, and it will download to your phone.
- Upload to Instagram. With the image on your phone, you’re ready to start posting. Hit the plus sign, and select the clip from the images on your phone.
- Add descriptions. Instagram will prompt you to tell the world what your video is about and why it matters. To really get seen, you’ll also need to add hashtags that point to the game you’re playing and your personal brand (if you have one).
- Use Hashtags (#). Hashtags are how Instagram categorizes posts. Use these to help new viewers find your new clips with hashtags relating to gaming, platform, and more!
If your head is swimming at the thought of all these steps, we understand. It’s cumbersome to get your Xbox and Instagram to play together nicely.
Here’s a handy hint: our app lets you upload to Instagram immediately. Check it out.
Why Send Clips to Instagram?
You’re a busy person with a lot on your plate. Why should you bother taking all of these steps to share on Instagram? The answer is simple. Instagram is enormous!
SproutSocial says that Instagram has 1 billion monthly active users. In theory, all of them could interact with your gaming content, follow you, and give you the fame you’ve been craving.
Of course not nearly all of those 1 billion people are going to see your latest Call of Duty 360 no-scope hotness, but it doesn’t take many to be worth your precious time. While Instagram is not a gaming-focused platform, there are thousands of people there who love gaming and love watching great content.
As a content creator, it’s your job to put your best foot forward in as many places as possible so you can cast your nets wider every day. The more people that get a chance to experience your content, the greater likelihood you’ll meet people that want to support you!
What’s a Better Way to Create and Share Clips?
If want more people to follow you and your work, Clutch makes that easy.
Xbox clips automatically appear in the app ready for editing and posting. No steps, no fuss. Boom. Ready to go the moment they hit the cloud.
With our app and its Windows uploader, you can import your PC captures directly to our system. From there, you can edit those clips to make them the best they can be.
Speed them up, slow them down, or add a bit of commentary. Do it all on your phone, and save it there, too.
You could share that video from the app to Instagram. But we have another option that might work better.
Share that perfected vid right on our platform. You’ll be talking to other gamers who really care about what happens online, and if you connect with enough of them, you could be a featured gamer (and you’ll grab even more attention).
Try out Clutch and see what you think of it. Find out more here.
17 Instagram Stats Marketers Need to Know in 2019. (April 2019). Sprout Social.