To follow someone on Twitch is to suggest that the person does things you love and want to see more of. A Twitch unfollow implies the opposite.
It might sound extreme, but there are times when hitting the unfollow button makes sense. We’ll outline a few of those scenarios, and we’ll give you two quick ways to cut ties with streamers who aren’t right for you.
Check Your Follow Status
Before we dig into how to unfollow on Twitch, it makes sense to check who you’re following. Twitch can sometimes serve up “popular” channels for you to watch, and if you’re not paying attention, you could think you’re following someone when you’re not.
To find out if you’re following someone on Twitch:
- Log in to Twitch. You can’t see this information unless you’re logged in.
- Click on the “Following” button. You’ll see a list of channels you follow.
- Check out a channel you’re watching. If you’re logged into a stream, look at the center of the display window. If you’re following, the heart icon will be bold and colorful.
It takes just a few minutes to ensure that you’re really following someone, and it’s a worthwhile step. Otherwise, you could end up following someone you don’t really enjoy, as the steps you take to follow someone are very similar to those you take to unfollow.
How to Unfollow Channels on Twitch
You’ve discovered that you are following someone, and you want to break off that relationship. You can cut ties in one of two ways.
To unfollow someone on Twitch:
- Work within the stream. Find the gamer you don’t want to follow, look in the center of the display window, and click on the heart. It will break into two pieces, and you’ll no longer follow along.
- Use the Twitch tool. Twitch lets you cut ties with a large group of channels with one button click. Log in, and use the Quick Unfollow tool to make that happen.
What if Twitch Unfollows Won’t Work?
You’ve followed the steps we’ve outlined above. But you still can’t manage to unfollow someone on Twitch. What’s going wrong?
If you can’t unfollow someone on Twitch:
- Check your browser. Did you switch to a new platform? Return to your old program, and try to unfollow again.
- Assess your login. Like most platforms, Twitch can break from time to time. If you have trouble, log out. Wait for a minute or two, and then log in again.
- Clear your cache. Stored versions of Twitch can interfere with new steps you want to take. Go into settings, and clear your cache and cookies. This refresh may be what you need to actually get the action done.
- Get out of beta mode. Twitch developers want you to try new things in beta. But some functionality is disabled in this format. If you’re in beta, log out and see if things work better.
Should You Hit the Unfollow Button?
Twitch is growing, and reporters often use follower count to determine what channels are most popular. It’s not surprising that streamers pay close attention to how many followers they have (and how many leave them). So you should think hard before you choose to sever the relationship.
Experts say a connection between a streamer and a follower is intimate. Unlike other social media channels (like YouTube), Twitch isn’t a one-way street. You talk to each other in real time, and you influence one another. There’s a back and forth that isn’t there in some other forms of media.
Consider hitting the Twitch unfollow button if your streamer:
- Switches formats. You started following someone playing Fortnite. Now that person is moving to a different game you don’t enjoy. It’s perfectly valid to leave that channel if the content doesn’t interest you. It’s not what you signed up for.
- Is abusive. Streamers are humans, and that means they’re flawed. If someone offends or upsets you regularly, it’s best to leave that person’s company altogether. You have too many options available to stay with someone who makes you feel bad.
- Doesn’t inspire you. There are plenty of streamers to watch on Twitch. If you don’t like one, switching to another makes sense. Stick to streamers that leave you feeling motivated.
As we’ve made clear, it’s very easy to unfollow someone on Twitch. But don’t forget that your decision comes with consequences.
The moment you hit the follow button is recorded by Twitch, and it’s a status symbol. The longer you’ve been following someone, the more you seem to matter to members of that community. (That’s why some people are petitioning Twitch to make accidental unfollowings so difficult.)
If you’re upset in the moment and you unfollow, you could lose status. And once it’s gone, there’s no way to get it back. Consider your options carefully.
Know that you have options too if unfollowing someone on Twitch isn’t right for you.
For example, you might choose to unfollow someone because you think that person isn’t paying enough attention to you. A Twitch subscription could change all that.
Twitch subscriptions aren’t free. You often have to pitch in a few dollars every month for the right to subscribe to a channel. But once you do that, you’ll have the opportunity to really talk to someone you’re interested in. And that access could be just what you’re hoping for (and not getting) from a Twitch follow.
Quick Unfollow. Twitch.
Study Says U.S. Twitch Streamers Raked in Roughly $87 Million in 2017. (February 2019). Tech Crunch.
The 10 Most Popular Channels on Twitch. (October 2019). Business Insider.
Don’t Reset Followage. (March 2018). Twitch.
How to Subscribe. Twitch.