Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Season 2 has just gone live, bringing a ton of new content to the game. Alongside a new battle pass, the free update brings new maps, new weapons, a fan favorite operator, and a host of patch notes. Players can unlock a plethora of new cosmetics, boosts, and weapons by leveling up the Season 2 battle pass.
Not everything is available at launch, with some maps, game modes, and operators becoming available midway through the season.
New Operator – Simon “Ghost” Riley
Ghost is a fan favorite character from the Modern Warfare series. Making his debut in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Riley was a British Special Forces Operation and member of Captain Price’s Task Force 141. He excels in infiltration and sabotage, often finding him head of the clandestine operations for Task Force 141.
Ghost is available on day 1 of Season 2 and players can play as him by purchasing the battle pass. Two more Operators will become available as Season 2 progresses: Talon, a Canadian Special Forces member, and Mace, a Ranger turned gun-for-hire.
Season 2 will see the release of two new weapons that players can earn for free. The first is the Grau 5.56 assault rifle (AR) unlocked at Tier 15. The Grau is a light-weight AR that is very balanced across all stat lines.
The second is the Striker 45 sub-machine gun (SMG). The Striker is more effective at range than its counterparts. This adds diversity to current line-up of sub-machine guns.
Modern Warfare Season 2 releases a solid line-up of new maps for the Multiplayer, Ground War, and Gunfight games modes. The studio brings back a much-requested remake, along with some new entries in the series.
A map returning from Modern Warfare 2 that sees players fighting over control of an oil yard. It’s a smaller map best suited for fast-paced combat. To be successful, not only will teams will need to take control of the high, but the low ground as well or be outflanked by the opposing team.
The map is launching day 1 with Season 2 and should be an instant hit for veteran players. Players will be able to play the map in standard Multiplayer and Gunfight modes.
A new map that pits players head-to-head in a “Wall Mart” like setting. Players will have to fight over highly contested lanes, including the shipping, receiving, and employee-only areas.
The map is launching day 1 with Season 2, and players can find the map in the standard Multiplayer playlists.
A giant map that takes place in a scrap yard for old airplanes in Verdansk. Players fight over objectives strategically placed throughout the map. Zhokov Boneyard will be available day 1 of Season 2 and can be found in the Ground War playlist.
Comprised of a cross-section of streets in Urzikstan, Bazaar is a symmetrical map that promises to be very tense. Players will have to stick together as they navigate the new map and hope to get the drop on the opposing team. Bazaar will be available midway through the season and can be found in the Gunfight playlist.
Not much is known about Khandor Hideout. Infinity Ward simply listed it amongst its new maps with the description “[Redacted Intel].” What we do know is that it will be available midway through Season 2 and be available in the standard Multiplayer playlists.
Alongside new maps come new game modes for players to enjoy. At the start of Season 2 they include:
- Call of Duty League Playlist – Players can play Hardpoint, Domination, and Search and Destroy utilizing the same rule-set used by professionals in the Call of Duty League.
- Gunfight 3v3 Snipers – Snipers only Gunfight mode.
- I Have Rust Issues – 6v6 assortment of game modes all taking place on the new Rust map.
- Realism Ground War – Ground War with realism settings enabled.
Coming later in the Season:
- Gunfight Tournaments – The returning mode from Season 1 sees players face off in a tournament style mode where the winners receive rewards.
- Demolition – Reminiscent of Search and Destroy, Demolition enables re-spawns with one team attacking two bomb sites and one team defending.
- Infected Ground War – The Infected game mode is brought to Ground War maps.
- NVG Reinforce – This game mode takes Reinforce, a mode in which every time you capture an objective your teammates re-spawn, and pits players against each other at night.
New Trials playlists are also available for players looking to gain some XP. These range from Quad Race that sees players facing off in time trials, to Price’s Alley which mixes civilians in with hostiles, forcing player to make quick decisions when engaging the enemy.
Alongside the launch of Modern Warfare Season 2 is a major patch update that bring a lot of changes to the game. Here is a list of the major updates and fixes:
- Krovnik Farmland added back into rotation
- Removed access to the second floor in a handful of centrally located houses (see the locations below marked in red)
- Fixes for various exploits across Ground War maps
- Fixed an issue where players could team kill Care Package owners and teammates capturing Care Packages
- Fix for Platinum and Damascus camos sometimes having a blinding glare when in certain areas that contain sunlight
- Fix for a rare bug that could prevent players from accessing the barracks, weapons, and/or Operators tabs after matches
- Trophy System: Reduce deploy time by half a second.
- Fixed a bug that allowed players to get infinite Weapon Drops by cancelling Killstreaks. When holding the Weapon Grenade Killstreaks are no longer usable.
- Fixed a bug where objectives were not giving Field Upgrade progress
Perks – Rebalancing
- Perk 1 Slots
- Overkill: Switched places with Killchain and will now be in Perk 2
- E.O.D.: Removed hacking ability (added to Spotter perk)
- Double Time: Double the recharge rate of Tactical Sprint
- Quick Fix: Reduced health regeneration delay – any kill will immediately start regeneration
- Perk 2 Slots
- Ghost: Remove Snapshot grenade immunity (moved to Battle Hardened)
- Restock: Change the equipment recharge rate from 30 to 25 seconds
- Killchain: Switched places with Overkill In Perk 1
- Pointman: Increase the score gain for Scorestreaks across all modes
- Perk 3 Slots
- Tune Up: Increase Field Upgrade cost reduction
- Spotter: Added hacking ability (from E.O.D.); we’re currently working on the ability to hack through walls.
- Battle Hardened:
- Added Snapshot grenade immunity (moved from Ghost)
- Added Gas grenade resistance
- SA87– Smoothed out recoil, increased damage
- Increased RAM-7 extended mags ammo count from 45 to 50
You can find a full list of the patch notes on the official Call of Duty: Modern Warfare website.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Season 2 is packed to the brim with content. The update has something for everyone to enjoy. This includes the new Call of Duty League playlist for those looking for a more hardcore competitive experience, to Quad Race trials and the antics than can be had on the back of an ATV.
If last season is any indication, Season 2 should be around for about 3 months before we see another update. Plenty of time to unlock everything the update has to offer.