Infinity Ward just dropped details on Modern Warfare Season 3 detailing the plethora of new content to come. As with every season, there will be a new battle pass alongside a new operator, new weapons, new maps, and much more. The Season 3 battle pass will include the usual new operator and weapon skins, charms, emblems and everything else players have come to be familiar with.
As with Season 2, there will be more content dropped throughout Season 3. This includes some new maps, operators, and a new weapon they have yet to reveal.
New Operator – Alex
(SPOILER ALERT: THIS SECTION CONTAINS SPOILERS REGARDING THE END OF THE CAMPAIGN!)
Players who played through Call of Duty: Modern Warfare’s campaign will be familiar with Alex. Going by call sign Echo 3-1, Alex is an operator for the CIA specializing in high-threat covert missions.
Alex was believed to be dead after sacrificing his life to destroy a toxic gas factory in Georgia. It appears as if he somehow escapes the explosion and Price recruits him as an operator.
Alex can be used as on operator on day 1 of Season 3 by purchasing the battle pass or battle pass bundle which includes 20 tier skips. Two more operators will be available as Season 3 progresses: Ronin, a “one-man army” specializing in sabotage, and Iskra, a new Allegiance fighter in the Chimera division.
Season 3 brings two new weapons that players can earn for free. The first is the Renetti pistol which unlocks at Tier 15. The Renetti is a semi-automatic pistol with a 3-round burst attachment that excels in close range combat.
The second weapon is the SKS which unlocks at Tier 31. The SKS is a lightweight, semi-automatic carbine that touts 7.62 ammunition. This weapon has a higher rate of fire over other weapons in its class and hits a bit harder while taking a slight hit to accuracy.
Modern Warfare Season 3 brings three new maps to 6v6 multiplayer on day 1. These maps include a remaster of an original Modern Warfare map, a new map, and a current map remade for smaller teams.
Players will feel at home in this remaster of an original Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare map. Backlot is an urban city in Urzikstan that has been abandoned. In the center is a major construction project left unfinished.
Talsik Backlot blends long sniper sight lines with door-to-door close quarters combat. Players will fight over various buildings and vantage points.
Sawmill is a farming village whose sawmill building has caught fire. Surrounding the sawmill are local businesses including a mess hall, butchery, and a beekeeper’s area that sports some active hives.
Hovec Sawmill mixes mid to long range sight lines, making this map perfect for those that excel in ranged combat. Snipers can use the rooftops to pick off players sprinting between buildings. A river runs along the village, providing a path for players to flank opposing teams.
Incursion is a twist on the Ground War map Aniyah Palace. They have taken the original map, made for 10v10 or more, and cut it down to the central palace and a sliver of the surrounding area.
This map should be familiar to those who have played a lot of Ground War or 10v10 modes. There is a main courtyard and pool that can be covered by snipers utilizing the long sightlines overlooking them. Players looking to flank opposing teams can use the many small crawl spaces inside the palace.
There are two more maps to come throughout the duration of Season 3: Hardhat, a multiplayer map, and Aisle 9, a new gunfight map. These maps have yet to receive any details.
Season 3 brings less updates immediately to the playlists. The only update available to players on day 1 is Quads, a new mode for Warzone. Quads raises your team number from three to four.
Teamwork is more vital than ever as you take on teams of four. Losing teammates puts you at quite the disadvantage now. Warzone is a standalone experience and the full version of Modern Warfare is not needed to play it.
As the season progresses, more playlist updates will become available. These include Demolition, Gun Game Reloaded, Gunfight variants, and more for Multiplayer. Warzone will see new modes such as Scopes and Scatter Guns, a variant consisting of only snipers and shotguns.
Ground loot will be overhauled continuously to force players to adapt their strategies. This includes silenced and non-silenced variants of each gun type, as well as new weapons and blueprints available in supply boxes.
At Tier 10, players will get the first of many military themed operator skins modeled after various armed forces. These include the U.S. Expeditionary force at Tier 10, the South Korean Special Forces at Tier 30, Pararescue at Tier 50, and the Counter Terrorist Special Police Force.
In Season 3 vehicles skins become available for the first time. Players can now sports skins on the various vehicles throughout Modern Warfare, adding some personal flare when getting splatter kills.
Lastly, players can up their earned XP by taking part in the various Trials modes. These include:
- Gun Course – Players take part in a timed course on the map Vacant, taking out enemies and avoiding civilian casualties.
- Risky Parkour – Move through checkpoints as fast as possible on Hackney Yard, Piccadilly, and Gun Runner while avoiding toxic gas on the low ground.
- Shooting Range – Locate and shoot all targets in the area on Docks (rifles) and Stack (shotguns).
- Marksman Challenge – Engage long-range targets in two variations, snipers or handguns. Missed shots add to your time.
UPDATE: Patch Notes
Modern Warfare Season 3 is now live and alongside the launch is a list of fixes and adjustments. Here are the most notable changes to Modern Warfare.
- Lowered the max amount of XP and score given for Decoy Grenade assists.
- Backend fixes to help Memory Error 13-71 issues. If you’re still experiencing this error, please reach out to Activision Customer Support.
- Fixed a bug where players were sometimes unable to see Clan Tags for other players in the Social Menu after restarting app, or going through a power cycle.
- Fixed an issue where some players could encounter graphical corruptions, causing their screen to have a black ‘shadow’ that followed them.
- Fix for an area on St. Petrograd that lacked collision and allowed the Recon Drone to fly out of bounds.
- Lowered the volume of the plane audio during infil.
- Some footstep sounds while ADS and crouched were cut short on the distance you could hear them, depending on the surface type.
- Fixed an issue where “The Line Breaker” variant of the EBR could out perform the base version of the same weapon.
- Players with the “Cherry Blossom” variant of the Akimbo handguns could have broken animations while ADS on ladders.
- Firing a smoke grenade with the under barrel 40mm smokescreen launcher did not emit any smoke from the grenade.
- Akimbo weapons now start with 2 extra magazines of ammunition instead of 1.
- Tightened up the hip spread on the VLK Rogue Shotgun.
- Decreased ADS spread for shotgun slugs.
- Operation Headhunter: Fix for an error that could occur after launching the drone.
- Operation Headhunter: Fixed a bug where the mini map could overlap the Objectives on screen.
- We now tell you how far away you are from your teammates while in a match.
- Fix for the gas mask animation interrupting and blocking players from deploying their parachute.
- Fix for a bug where players were unable to revive teammates after getting interrupted during the initial revive animation.
- Fixed a bug where players could be killed by vehicles without being near the player.
- Fix for a bug where players could become invincible if they become downed while switching seats in a Tac Rover.
- If a player spectates the winning team of a BR match, the After-Action Report will display the winning team’s score in the scoreboard tab.
- Fixed a bug where placing a Shield Turret on a teammate could kill them.
- Fixed a bug where players couldn’t swap out the M13 for any other weapon in the Plunder tutorial.
- Fix for players unable to self-revive in Solos.
- Increased price of Loadout Drop within the Buy Station to $10,000.
- Removed Loss Column from BR Leaderboard and replaced with Top 10s.
- Fixed issue with final circles occurring out of bounds or in undesirable areas.
- Several fixes to prevent crashes and improve stability.
For a full list of patch notes accompanying Modern Warfare Season 3, see Infinity Ward’s official site.
What’s to Come
Modern Warfare Season 3 packs a lot of content in up front, and releases more periodically throughout the duration. There is enough content here to keep players coming back time and again, and hopefully enough to draw in those who have taken a break from the franchise. Modern Warfare’s future continues to look promising.
Modern Warfare Season 3 drops at 11:00 pm PST on April 7th / 2:00 am EST on April 8th. This is contrary to past updates, but allows players a little extra time to finish up their Season 2 battle pass.