Sponsorships mean the difference between gaming as a hobby and gaming as a job. With gaming sponsors like G FUEL on your side, you know you’ll always get paid.
Here’s the problem: Everyone else knows that too.
Most people know G FUEL as the “official” drink of esports, so it’s no surprise that G FUEL is one of the biggest gaming sponsors out there. Since the company inked a major deal with PewDiePie earlier this year, the popularity of this particular program has exploded.
That means you can’t just walk right up and ask G FUEL to hand over money. You’ll need to get crafty. Here’s how to do it.
What You’ll Need for a G FUEL Sponsorship
The founders of G FUEL probably love gaming. After all, they choose to invest in it when they could spend their money elsewhere. But they’re not handing out sponsorships based on love alone. They do it for money. You have to prove you’re worth the risk.
A quick peek at G FUEL’s so-called “Team Gamma” page will tell you a lot. If you get picked, you’re in the big leagues. You’ll be sitting alongside people with a lot of fans, a polished image, and plenty of amazing content.
How do you size up?
Gaming sponsorship applications (including those from G FUEL) ask you to define your primary channel. You may share stats on Twitter or post photos on Facebook, for example, but if you share all of your content on Twitch, start there.
Your channel should:
- Look uniform. Do you have a logo? Preferred colors? Do you always start your vids the same way or end the same way?
- Include contact information. If people stumble across your feed, can they get in touch with you later?
- Be active. G FUEL doesn’t disclose how many fans you need to become a G FUEL affiliate. But you do need a viable audience that will listen to you. G FUEL will want proof that you’ve sold things before. They aren’t looking to take chances on someone without a track record.
- Share good content. Are your videos well lit? Can people hear you? Do you seem like a pro? Amateurs don’t get sponsorships, so make sure your videos look professional.
This is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of things to do to get your channel ready for G FUEL or other esports sponsorships. We have plenty of other guides that go into detail about this topic, and we encourage you to read them carefully.
But for now, know this: G FUEL can and will check you out online when you ask for sponsorship. Make sure the team likes what they see.
Do Your G FUEL Homework
In a minute, we’ll tell you how to find and fill out a sponsorship application. But unless you’ve done a little research, you’re not quite ready for that step.
Before you apply:
- Try the product. Preferably, take a sip of all the flavors out there. Get a feel for what you like and why. Start talking about the drink now, so you’ll be able to do it on cue without seeming like a faker.
- Follow the company. G FUEL is active on Twitter, Facebook, and more. Hit up all of those channels. Find out what the company talks about. Know about new products coming down the line, and sign up for the company’s newsletter. The more you know, the better partner you’ll be.
- Look for influencers. Remember all of those Team Gamma members? Seek them out. How often do they talk about the product? What do they say? Make sure this is something you’re really prepared to do.
How to Get Sponsored by G FUEL
You’ve looked over your channel followed our advice. You think you’re ready to reach out and ask for what you want. Here’s how.
Head to the G FUEL website, and open an application. Up top, you’ll fill in basic data about who you are. Then, you’ll connect all of your applicable social channels. That means you can tag YouTube, Twitch, Instagram, Facebook, and/or Instagram.
Word of warning here: Do you use all of these channels for work? Or do you think of a spot like Facebook as the place you talk to your buddies? Only access those spots you plan to chat up G FUEL if you get the sponsorship. Don’t put super personal pages into the mix.
Next, prepare to answer some questions about G FUEL. The company wants to ensure you actually drink the stuff, and the more you can say, the better. Keep answers real, so don’t go over the top. It’ll read as fake.
Why does this matter? Consider this. If you convincingly talk about how much you like the drink right now, you’ll be able to do the same thing when you’re accepted as a partner. If you can’t believably talk about it now, how can you do it later? Prove your worth now to get that contract.
Once you’ve filled out the form completely, hit “submit.”
If you don’t get sponsored by G FUEL, ask for feedback. Respond nicely to your rejection letter, and ask for more detailed criticism of your channel and how you can improve. You may not hear back (the reps can get busy, after all). But you might get a nice tip that helps your next application get you that elusive sponsorship.
And while you keep on working towards that sponsorship, make sure that you’re putting out as much high-quality content as you can. Get started with a Clutch account to connect with other players and upload, edit, and share your gaming content with our growing community.